Friday, August 14, 2015

IMMT 2015 Race Report Part 1 - d'avant-course

We arrived in Mont Tremblant, Quebec on Wednesday.  The GPS says it's supposed to be a four-hour drive, but Montreal makes it about six.  The traffic there is absurd!

The plan was to do a short swim, but when we got to the beach, the wind was whipping, the lake was super choppy, and it was only about 60 degrees out (plus wind chill).  We decided to go for a walk instead.

On Thursday, we got in the water.  They have a practice swim course laid out, and in tribute to Kona, they have a pontoon boat out there where you can grab an espresso during your swim.  I don't drink coffee, but I had to take a tiny sip of Randy's just so I can say I partook in the festivities!



We also picked up our race gear and checked out the expo.  At one point, I turned and came face to face with Mike Reilly, known as "the voice of Ironman!"  Mike Reilly is the official race announcer and calls your name as you cross the Ironman finish line with his signature phrase "You are an Ironman!"  He stopped and chatted with us for a few minutes and even posed for a picture with me.  He admits that, after Kona, his favorite Ironman is Lake Placid (well...and New Zealand).  Can't say I blame him.  Mont Tremblant is beautiful but Lake Placid has a special place in my heart.  





We finished wandering around the expo, the headed back to our condo, which is a four-minute walk up the mountain.  It's sooooo nice to be so close!



On Friday, we woke up to rain.  The day was pretty relaxing.  Got in another swim and basically laid around until the opening banquet.  The banquet was pretty good, although everything that was said had to be said twice - once in English, once in French.  The food was good though, as was the entertainment.  Back at the condo we could hear the band playing as we watched a beautiful sunset, then enjoyed the fireworks.




Saturday....  The day of putting everything in its place.  Loaded up the gear bags, cleaned and checked the bikes, and prepped the nutrition.  After a quick ride/run, we brought our bikes and gear bags to the transition area.  Randy surprised me with a way-cool placard for my race number and as I did in IMLP 2013, I will ride with the bracelet that reminds me that even though Ironman is tough, it's nothing compared to some of the problems other people have. 

The rest of the day was spent relaxing and enjoying spaghetti and meatballs, our traditional pre-Ironman dinner.  Then off to bed!








No comments:

Post a Comment