Saturday, January 5, 2013

The training is under way!

When the calendar changes from one year to the next, it puts that Ironman in a different perspective.  Although I still have 6 months, 3 weeks, and 2 days (but who's counting?), the fact that it is now 2013 makes it feel like the race is tomorrow.  I am feeling really good about the next 6 months, 3 weeks, and 2 days though.  I am actually excited about doing the training.  I love the feeling of accomplishment after a long, hard workout.  I love the comeraderie of those group rides and training weekends with friends.  I love the confidence I get when I'm training - like I can do anything.

However, training for a July race in the dead of winter is difficult.  It's tough to maintain focus and excitement.  Music helps on those treadmill runs (If Today was Your Last Day by Nickelback gets me going every single time).  Action TV shows and movies help on those long trainer rides.  I love how the cadence and power increase when Sydney Bristow is kicking someone's ass on an episode of Alias.  (And, yes,  I own all the Alias seasons on DVD because the show completely rocks!)  My motivation in the pool?  Trying to beat Randy! 

Being a numbers person, I'm trying to keep track of my total time, yards, and miles.  So far, I've gone 33,250 yards in the pool, spent 27 hours, 45 minutes on the bike trainer, and ran 83 miles.  And I still have 6 months, 3 weeks, and 2 days...

No comments:

Post a Comment